View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
How does one differentiate the AV from the beast? Are they actually two discrete entities, or is one a machination of the other?
Although covered in the original post I linked to, I'm nonetheless glad that you asked this question, daredevil, because it is an important distinction in AVRT, which is commonly overlooked.

As dwtbd noted, the AV is the 'bark' of the Beast, but the AV is not the Beast itself. This may seem inconsequential, since it largely does not exist in other recovery paradigms, but it aids in separation, which is why I keep repeating that:

AV ≠ Beast

Bark → Dog : AV → Beast

In AVRT, unlike other recovery paradigms, the Beast, while the source of the Addictive Voice, is not considered the cause of the addiction. The Beast is absolutely powerless, without any means to secure its interests -- the next fix. All it can do is to 'bark' AV.

Originally Posted by Jack Trimpey, RR: TNC, Pg. 84

Whether or not others care about you, love you, support you, or encourage you to succeed, you will be tested, and you will either pass or fail. The test will be in the form of real life experience when your Addictive Voice acts up. If you recognize it, you will pass, and if you fail to recognize it, you will drink or use.

From: Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction
by Jack Trimpey (Page 84)
Remember also, that without a Big Plan, there is no AVRT, because the Addictive Voice is also simply any thinking or feeling that contradicts your Big Plan in any way, shape, or form.

All self-doubt about future abstinence obviously fits the bill.