View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

I don’t think ignoring thoughts or cravings is helpful. I think instead that a focused mindful awareness on the reaction to the thought is more helpful. This allows a detachment or separation from the thought with the goal of becoming the observer of the thought rather than the thinker. This allows some emotional elbow room, some time where the reaction can become awareness and recognition along the lines of ‘Ah Ha! You again! It doesn’t matter what thoughts or feelings you send along, it doesn’t matter. It will never matter because I have made my decision, once and for all. I won’t smoke or drink in this present moment. I won’t do it later, either. I will never do it, and I will not ever change my mind.’ Then, go and do something, something that non smokers or non drinkers do.

Notice I said ‘you again’, as we separate our self from the urge or craving. By making the vow, the urge comes from a part of us that no longer is in charge. That urge comes from that perverted and misguided survival drive which believes that smoking or drinking are essential to our survival. Well, no, that’s false. They may be essential to ‘IT’s’ survival, but too bad for IT.

The urge passes, but since you made this eternal vow unconditionally, it’s irrelevant when or even if it passes. This last part is important, MG, and is an important part of the ‘never again’ statement. That door is closed, that ship has sailed. It’s done.

This is how I see AVRT anyway.