View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

I think AVRT is about mindfulness, being aware of your thoughts without judging them or measuring them, or becoming worried by them or stressed by them. A drinking thought or urge comes by, even a faint one, and I can smell it because it starts to make me anxious. I try to stop my mind from racing along, and I just sit with this thought. And let it be what it is. It isn't me, because I don't drink anymore. The nervousness or compelling nature of urges then disappears.

The Beast is not our subconscious, it is in our lower brain function that these thoughts originate. AVRT works by bringing urges and self doubt thoughts into full awareness. The idea of beastifying our urge to drink or use is part of the separation process, of identifying it as 'not me'.

The CBT tools you are using, visualization, positive thought framing, and acting as though you have achieved the goal of sobriety are very useful to me too. Cost benefit analysis, and engaging in pastimes that require and foster mastery are other CBT / SMART tools that I have found helpful.

All of these things add to my life now and fill up the hole left by being plastered all the time. But first, I needed to get sober and prepare the way so that these other tools could be used.

Switch, all of this fell into place for me when I made that vow to stop. I found it useful to recognize that my last drink was my very last drink, as opposed to my next drink being my very last drink. That is just more drinking, sorta defeats the whole idea here.

Believe in yourself, believe that all self doubt is your addiction trying to pull a fast one, set your confidence at 11, and you will succeed.