View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by riig View Post
I have a question about your approach. I find it very interesting and appealing. But, is it only a matter of saying Enough! I will never drink again? Or do I need a support plan?
I think it is a good idea to make that unchangeable decision to choose permanent and unconditional sobriety, and to demonstrate this determination in whatever manner seems right for you. That might include reading about addiction, learning about meditation and mindfulness, starting an exercise program, restarting a hobby of yours, all sorts of things. All of these things could be considered to form a support plan.

However, if you phrase your question as one of necessity, will you fail without one more more of these aspects? That to me sounds like a plan to drink again in a way, and it leaves the door open to your AV with the possibility of more booze. If these 'needs' are not met, does that enable further alcohol consumption?

Saying, 'Enough' is certainly at the root here, but there is more to it. We need to develop the ability to recognize thoughts of drinking as they appear, in all forms. We need to be able to separate our directed self from these thoughts. We need to believe that we will succeed, no matter what - after all, all we need to do to succeed is open the hand that holds that highball glass or bottle of beer and allow it to fall away, and we can certainly do that. We need to believe that we can stay abstinent for a moment, and for any moment, but specifically the present moment.

You can look at the Rational Recovery website, google finds it easily, and look into AVRT, for more information. You can do it, riig. Honest.