View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
squilly

Hi Fresh Start and everyone else who posted on this thread. A fantastic op. I am so grateful to RR and the skills taught. I'm from the UK and stopped using/drinking by using the tools that are provided by RR nearly 4 years ago. The fact that my addiction was a choice and not a disease let me take full responsibility, together with AVRT and of course the final contract clinched it!

I do wonder why you use the word sober and sobriety and why not simply 'I don't drink'? If I go for a meal with colleagues and am asked whether I want a glass of wine with my meal I will say: 'no thanks, I don't drink.' If I were to say: 'no thanks, I'm sober' this acknowledges that I am/were an 'alcoholic' (awful label) and as I put this addiction to bed years ago I don't acknowledge it anymore, it's over, in the past! I hope I'm making sense? I think that the word 'sober' means 'in between drinking', as does 'clean time' means 'in between drinking'. I either drink or I don't, I either use or I don't. Just my opinion.

I love reading all the RR/AVRT posts on the secular group. Thanks to all of you.