View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Not so into debating the fine points of AVRT, or AA, or whatever. For me, I have decided not to treat any of it as a beast, but rather as a misguided coping mechanism that means well, but is no longer fit for purpose.
That's your prerogative, but there is little to debate. AVRT is a technical thing, so to speak, and clearly defined.

Because it is all me. Some of its my higher power, some of it my inner child, some of it my god consciousness, some of it is my negative thinking, some of it is my AV. But for me, not for you, for me, its all me.
Of course it is "you" -- in the sense that your addiction (the Beast of AVRT) is part of your brain. AVRT is contrived (deliberately created) for the purpose of ending an unwanted chemical dependence -- an addiction.

AVRT is a method, and while it has some rudimentary basis in science, it is not dependent on science. It was synthesized (by Mr. Trimpey) from the input he received from the self-recovered population over the years.

And the real me, is the one who sees that. And who sees that I no longer need that coping mechanism.

But to deny that we are addicted to alcohol is semantics taken a step too far in my opinion.
Those 'semantics' are a core part of AVRT, however, which, once again, is contrived. Without separation, there is simply no AVRT.

"I want to drink, but I won't drink," for example, is perfectly fine, in that it may work out quite well for many, but it isn't AVRT.

'Beast' is simply the name that AVRT gives to the addiction, not particularly different than 'my addiction' in other contexts.

I'll just note for the sake of completeness that unlike most other methods, AVRT does not consider the Beast the cause of the addiction (the unwanted dependence), but rather, the source of the Addictive Voice.

The Beast can only 'bark' AV, and generate some feelings, but it cannot 'hijack' anything, much less one's arms and legs.