Thread: Conflict
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Consider that while it may cross a line for you, it may be just the idea that someone else needs to hear.
Well if that's the criteria, personal attacks are ok because they might someday help someone quit drinking, then there are no bounds or lines and it's open season.

I agree it's hard to draw a line, though. For example, I was helped immensely early on by the old orange-papers site, which was the most vitriolic collection of information and pseudo-information in the world of addiction recovery. It's amazing to me, now, looking back, that I found value in all that vitriol, "Get a life Mr. Orange" comes to mind, but at the time I did because I felt intense pressure to follow a recovery path that didn't fit me at all, and I felt vindicated that someone else was as angry about it as I was. I found Lifering instead, and the same problems came up on their sites and especially chat rooms, discussion always somehow wound up going back to hating on AA, and it became a regular moderator problem, trying to find some kind of balance.

There do need to be lines, and it's usually clear when someone runs screaming past them, but on the fringes they can be hard to draw.