Thread: Conflict
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

I guess I don't understand the need to criticize other forms of recovery in order to promote your own. The 12 steps are the program I have the most familiarity with so I will use them as an example.

For me, personally, 12-step recovery was not a good fit. I have never felt "powerless over my addiction". On the contrary, I felt that I was, in fact, the only person who had any degree of power over them. I don't believe that any sort of "higher power" has any degree of control over my life, so I didn't find that helpful either. Neither of these things change the fact that 12-step recovery has been helpful for many people in overcoming their substance abuse problems.

I try to frame my comments from a personal perspective because what is my "truth" is not necessarily your truth. This forum is a great place to learn and share ideas with others that may or may not travel a similar path as yours. We have people from all over the world that contribute here and as many different views as there are people.

In 12-step recovery one of the basic premises is to share your ESH (Experience, Strength and Hope) in order to share the "message". Of course being that human people are the ones doing the sharing it sometimes doesn't work out that way, but in my opinion it is a good goal to reach for.