Thread: Conflict
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

I'm not criticizing any approach or philosophy, just stating my personal impression. A central part of RR seems to be examining and criticizing other approaches to addiction recovery as "recoveryism" or "collective AV", especially but not limited to 12-step approaches, and that can quickly turn into a group attack or at least perception of attack on people who don't subscribe to RR philosophies, which are pretty outside the mainstream even among secular approaches (which is perfectly fine if that's what works for you, I'm a strong believer in doing what works for you). Polite discourse on a forum requires tolerance of different approaches, but that's hard to achieve when a central part of your approach involves dissecting those different approaches and laying them out for what they supposedly are, recoveryism and collective AV. I think that's part of the reason for the history of this forum, that fundamental mismatch between the need for tolerance and the RR emphasis on a critical dissecting outlook. Which is why I think a dedicated RR sub-forum, where such dissecting is tolerated even if it's not tolerated anywhere else, isn't necessarily a bad idea. There's a line somewhere, and certainly calling out people individually as "the voice of the collective AV" (a RR follower in this forum did exactly that to me last year) crosses that line, but if people can keep the dissecting cordial and objective, clinical if you like, then it might serve the desires of the RR followers here while containing that sort of us-against-them dialog to one particular place.

I don't know what's best, but it does seem to me that there's a fundamental mismatch involved.