Old 04-05-2018, 12:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Dzhen

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hi Dzhen, I don't know anything about home ownership laws in Australia. Do you have the right to kick him out? If he doesn't leave, could you find somewhere else to live?

It sounds like you have set a boundary. Usually setting boundaries are easy; it is sticking to them that is difficult.

I hope the time with your sister is healing, joyful and marvelous.
Hi Bekind, thanks so much for this. In answer to your question, no, I don't have the right to kick him out, unless he is violent (which he is not). We lease a place together (though I pay all the rent, and have done since the beginning) so changing the locks isn't an option either (and of course I wouldn't especially have the right to do that, either, except perhaps morally!) I have restated, in texts, that I need him to leave. My leaving is theoretically possible but I strongly feel that as I pay the rent, and need a stable base to go to work so I can continue to pay the rent, that he should be the one to go.

As for enforcing the boundary, it's so bloody hard. I'm avoiding speaking to him because I think I'll cave if I do. I'm far from joyful right now, but I am getting a lot of love and support from my sister and brother in law.