Thread: Choices
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
In my particular case I have a problem with marijuana. When I smoke it, I smoke it obsessively, until it is gone and until I run out of any options to get anymore. Could I choose to only smoke pot occasionally? Despite a good deal of "evidence" to the contrary, I think the answer is yes. However, it would be really, really hard. I could get arrested, I may fail a drug test, it would upset my parents and ex-wife and may jeopardize my relationship with my teenage son, I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Therefore, I make the choice not to smoke pot, and am comfortable, as it makes the most sense to me.
When I learned to take my recollections about past alcohol/drug use out of the present tense and put them into the past tense, it helped me clarify the plans I had made about any future use of alcohol/drugs.

I started thinking and saying it like this:

“In my particular case I used to have a problem with marijuana. When I smoked it, I smoked it obsessively, until it was gone and until I ran out of any options to get anymore.”

Once I started doing this, it was amazing how quickly I began to recognize the fallacy of keeping it in the present tense.

Also, I believe you have every capacity to make a plan that would put your last sentence into this form:

“Therefore, I made the choice never to smoke pot, and am comfortable, as it makes the most sense to me.”