Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  
MesaMan

That's an impressive Sober Streak you've run up, Sohard, and I congratulate you! Now, you know what that sober streak feels like. Me, I found that streak alone to be an important incentive to not reset sober time to zero during any utterly-avoidable Relapse. WHICH, personally, I don't think is 'a part of Recovery'. I also think that insufferable, pedantic talk of Alcohol Moderation is a cruel and stupid joke. The best way to mature past being an Addict once confidently sober? Don't think you're one anymore. I am Recovered because my Big Plan forever locked away any chance of drinking again. Because only an Addict would cave - and partake again - I am no longer one. This Mindset - one I achieved several Years ago - is comprehensively liberating.

If you find yourself wavering, read a dozen Posts here in 'Newcomers', or in the 'Friends & Family' Sections. Powerful stuff that focuses a Person...

IME, The Beast never fully goes away. I grew to not care if it goes away. I inadvertently empower it if I take it seriously. I've read elsewhere here on SR over the Years about how one must not yet be sober if one still has 'those' thoughts. Hey, they're ingrained habitual thoughts. In a like manner, I still recall a childhood pet. My High School GF. Rather fondly, actually. Those legacy thoughts don't direct my behavior here-and-now, so why should old drinking thoughts uniquely be given the power to do so? The 'power' of AV thoughts reduce to a laughable irrelevancy over time as The New Normal of dealing with Life while sober becomes entrenched. By habit...