View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Dropsie

Less,

Funny, I am also a lawyer in a high stress job. I am always surprised how many lawyers have procrastination (and alcohol) issues.

Algo,

Not so into debating the fine points of AVRT, or AA, or whatever. For me, I have decided not to treat any of it as a beast, but rather as a misguided coping mechanism that means well, but is no longer fit for purpose.

Because it is all me. Some of its my higher power, some of it my inner child, some of it my god consciousness, some of it is my negative thinking, some of it is my AV. But for me, not for you, for me, its all me.

And the real me, is the one who sees that. And who sees that I no longer need that coping mechanism.

But to deny that we are addicted to alcohol is semantics taken a step too far in my opinion.

I am also addicted to cigarettes. I have not smoked in almost 40 years and will never do so again, but part of the reason I don't is because I am addicted. If I could have one every year, I might. Ditto with a glass of wine. I know you will say, see addictive voice. Maybe. I say its honesty.

I honestly would love to be able to have a glass of great red wine with dinner a couple nights a month. AV maybe, honest, absolutely.

But I can't. Why? Because I am addicted and I have accepted that. And that acceptance was key to my decision to never drink again and to never quit the decision.

For you, it may be different, but that is the way I see it.

I don't spend too much time thinking about my AV or drinking at all for that matter. But I know in my soul I am addicted and I always will be. The same as I know I will never drink or smoke again. And no glass of even the best wine is worth trading my freedom.

So for me, the AV is all part of being -- you guessed it, an addict.. if we were not addicts there would be no AV.

But I do really just think this is semantics.

Thanks.