View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Hi Steve,
Does Michelle’s, Mark’s, and your book mention taking the once-in-a-lifetime, unretractible pledge of permanent abstinence
About to retire, but just to note that that your use of the word "the" when you say
"the once-in-a-lifetime, unretractible pledge" is invalid because it implies that there is such a thing as an ''unretractable pledge". There is of course no such thing. Let's use more
real language: "unretractable pledge" means "unbreakable promise". Of course you can always break a promise.

And yet another reminder, this thread is to discuss the Freedom Model not AVRT.

And what a nice welcome you gave there. My goodness.
(Quick prelude: The centuries old pledge is not about AVRT)

After reading the above post, I have spent a bit of time over the last ten days trying to figure out how I could break my promise to myself to never drink/drug again, and for the life of me, I just can’t figure it out. Every possible scenario I come up with, I keep remembering my promise and hit a brick wall. Nor can I come up with the conclusion that I was lying to myself when I made that promise.

So, I just want to tie up loose ends here and post that I’ve decided to just stop trying and accept that my brain must be an anomaly, and leave it that it must be important to emphasize that there is no such thing as an unbreakable promise in the context of ending problematic drinking. So, thanks again for all of your generous tolerance to this point.