View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
honeypig

Ovity, I also want to point out something that you'll likely come across soon, if you haven't already: "Functioning" is a stage of alcoholism, not a type. All alcoholics "function"--until they don't.

I'd like to share the following piece of wisdom posted by another SR member in the past about "functioning" alcoholics, and whether that is really what they do or not:

I'm not going to be very eloquent here, but when people who aren't in it use the phrase "functioning alcoholic" or imply that the situation isn't that difficult because the alcoholic is able to maintain a job and doesn't beat anyone, or because they "obviously" care for their families, those people are dismissing the biggest parts of what makes humans who we are. The fact that a person can hold a job, can move about the world without stumbling and hurting themselves or others, that they can make a sandwich for their kids - those functions don't make a human a full and complete human. A robot can do all of those things. To truly function, a human has to be able to do more than that, and honestly a human doesn't need to be able to do the things above to be able to "function" as a human being. The other things - like connecting to others with truth - are so much more important. I've come to the realization that there's no such thing as a functioning alcoholic. There may be physically capable alcoholics, but that's as far as I can go.

Hope that helps to clear up a little corner of the fog for you...