Old 03-30-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
I always struggled with meditation.
I just found it too difficult to stay with.
Even though I've seen numerous people benefit from it.

What really worked for me was CBT; which teaches you how to challenge your thoughts, not slow them down or stop them altogether.
I too have always struggled with meditation, but I saw an interesting interview a couple of months ago on the Daily Show. I don't remember who he was talking to, but Trevor Noah said that his mind would always wander when he tried to meditate. The person said that is completely normal. All you need to do is concentrate on your breathing and clear you mind. Even if you could only do this for a couple of breaths, you have meditated. Clear your mind again concentrate on your breathing and start over. Eventually you can work up to a little time. Like everything it takes some patience and practice.

One of the issues I deal with is racing thought and obsessive thinking. The meditation has been helpful for me. It definitely has not solved the issue, but I think it can be part of the solution. I think sometimes many of us get caught up in finding "the one solution" when usually the solution is made up of many small things that you can learn from many different places.