View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
StevenSlate

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Stephen, yet you do not still use heroin, correct? If not, why not? Perhaps you see where I'm going with this question, so I'll go there first - for most addicts, the only way out is to stop permanently, it's not possible to go back to casual moderate use. That's as true for alcohol as it is for heroin or cocaine.
If you want to hold onto the idea that you "can't" use substances because of some disability, be my guest. I was told these things, started t believe them, and yet they never stopped me from using. In addition to that, any negative reasons to not use heroin that exist for me today (I don't want to get arrested, I don't want to spend the money on it, risk of developing physical dependence, etc.) existed for all those years that I had a problem with it and continued to use, and I was well aware of them at the time.

The dividing line was when I began to seriously consider and believe that I could be much happier without heroin. That was what tipped the scales. I started to think there wasn't gonna be much that I was missing out on by not using, and that I could put all the energy that went into using into other rewarding pursuits - and that it'd be worth it and better.

I do not in any way harbor the idea that I "can't" use heroin, moderately or otherwise. I told myself "you can't keep doing this" for years, and it didn't help a bit. It also just isn't true. We can keep doing it - many do. We can moderate, and would, if we really wanted to. There is ample evidence of this, some of which is laid out in TFM. I do not want to use heroin moderately or otherwise. I've already explained that I no longer find the feeling of opiates to be attractive. I'm very happy to be on to other pursuits in life. Extremely happy about it. I had my fun with heroin. There is so much more to life.

I find it odd that the idea of being happy to quit is repulsive to so many people. It's a wonderful thing to not feel deprived, and to not have addiction as my cross to bear. There are so many other difficulties in life that I can use that energy on.

I'm probably not going to keep answering these sorts of questions, especially since I've already answered them.