View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
August252015

Glad I can be helpful hpdw! The "what ifs" and our imaginations can be very powerful, huh?

I would also add to the discussion here - using pain meds. I have my first injury- a back one, I can only attribute to what I thought at the time to be a minor fall in yoga some 2-3 wks ago- (no surgeries, yet - thankfully) and after two visits to the urgent care (the day I was finally in I-can't-walk- pain) and then yesterday a week after when I had certain symptoms warned about and the pain had re-escalated. I will see an orthopedist next week.

During all this- and I'd expect at 41, future situations as I age, having been an athlete, then a drunk who fell a lot, ha- I have been prescribed two different rounds (one, the first wk and now a different this second wk) of meds including a pain med and an anti-inflammatory, plus last week another med I forget. In light of my alcoholism (and I did share this w the drs I have seen, plus they are in network with my other team, so all have access to my med history and rx usage past and present), and that historical inclination to over-take meds, I had my husband read through all the paperwork and chose to self-report my taking them to him, at the correct times (or spaced out longer) for all. I was pretty easily able to stay on track though it's tougher now because I am SO sick of the pain.

Others I know have simply refused to take any pain meds of any kind with injuries, even serious ones or surgeries.

This is another personal decision- ideally IMO and IME made with good drs and our honesty- where I need to put my sobriety first while addressing the pain/situation.