Old 03-28-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Perhaps you found out the extent of your window of opportunity. Mine was three weeks. I could go to loads of meetings, or none, and the most I could ever last was three weeks, before the internal condition came back, I became uncomfortable in my own skin, and reached for my old solution.

They talk about this a lot in the AA Big Book. If we don't find a spiritual experience, sooner or later the obsession will return and we will go drink.

One of the best kept secrets in AA is that working the steps at a good clip with an experienced sponsor who has travlelled the same path is the only way (AA has) to have the requisite spiritual awakening or experience. Meetings alone will not do it, and AA has never claimed they will.

Everybody gets this window of opportunity at the start. In this period, staying sober is not too difficult. But, we do not know how long it will stay open. It is different for everyone. For me last time, three weeks, for you last time, two months. The only way I know to extend that is to get busy on the steps. When I did that, I recovered.