View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
The problem with broad-brushing benzos as "alcohol in pill form" is that it's simply not true for everyone. It's true for some folks, and more likely to be true if you've had a history of alcohol addiction, but it's far from being the cut-and-dried universal truth that you imply.

I have used a benzo (Ativan) sparingly as part of my anxiety management for several years since quitting drinking, and in fact have reduced my dosage over time as my need for it has decreased. It doesn't make me "high," and I've never experienced any urge to take more than prescribed -- in fact, I take less.

I recognize that my experience may be unusual, but it's probably far from unique. That's why I think it's rarely a good idea to single out any particular substance or medication for demonizing.
Briefly- specifically to the benzo "discussion" here, I have had similar 'success' as Andante. My benzo use has in fact been prescribed and controlled closely (at the same 1mg dose) since I was past the Antabuse and into sobriety a bit. My dr has never increased the dose, and only adjusted my other meds, and I always have "extra" pills at the end of the month.

As far as other meds I take and my stance on them in general is that they are an excellent choice for some of us. That said, those related to my alcoholism- ie Antabuse (disulfram) that I took for the first 90 days of my sobriety, and campral for cravings that I took for the first year and a half or so, are just some of the tools in my program to maintain a successful recovery.

I also take sleep meds (nightly as prescribed).

It's a personal decision, and for me, one made with an addiction-versed psychiatrist (who also does counseling) - and with whom I am honest about my consumption. I have an historical inclination to take more than prescribed, or take things more often, so this last part is critical.