Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by sarahcoben View Post
.. there is part of me that wishes i could turn me feeling off for him but thats not going to happen. since i kicked him out on sunday which was 3 nights ago i have only seen him once and that was for 5 mins but we have spoken everyday on the phone going over and over the fight that we have and how his drinking has been such a big problem plus its the only problem that we have ever had.

i just wish i wd know wat the right choice is to do im thinking about making sure that i dont have anymore face to face contact with him for at least 5 more days then see how i feel

Firstly, I'd suggest running your dilemma past the folk in the friends and family area on here. They have a LOT of experience, wisdom and strength to offer. One of the things they talk about a lot is making the decision to go no-contact. That's precisely for the the reason you've mentioned. There's little point going over and over and over it. Your alcoholic is just trying (and starting to succeed it sounds like!) to wear you down and try to make you doubt yourself.

I think you DO know what the right choice is. YOU are responsible for YOU. He is responsible for himself. That means that you should be thinking about your long term security, sanity and future happiness. At the moment he has nothing to offer you. Nadda. Zero. And won't have until he's not only stopped drinking, but also committed to working on his recovery.

What would you advise a daughter or best friend to do in your situation. Would you hope that they would leave this horrible situation and wait for someone more emotionally available, who could give as well as take in the relationship? If so, perhaps it's time to be a good friend to yourself and block his number etc so you can work in things.

If for some reason (whatever it could be) you decide you are going to continue this relationship, I would strongly suggest giving AlAnon a go so you can learn how to make and maintain boundaries that protect you (emotionally, financially, etc.), because it sounds like you'd really need them if I you stay with this guy.

BB