View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
This has been really useful. We hear so much that there is no pleasure that really matches substance use - I've just been reading an article that says that the "runners high" is just a pale imitation of the buzz you get from drugs or drink.

I realise that I've still been unquestioning believing this and so still romanticising drink . And I guess while I still believe that only drink can make me really happy, even though this belief is largely unconscious or hidden, I'm not going to be able to convincingly change my beliefs and see that I'd be happier changing my drinking habit.
I meant this response to be included with the quote attributed to Steve, my comments were directed at AlericB's response to the quote.
He seems to be implying a lack of desire is going to be necessary, I'm trying to point out I do not believe it is, I got to where I got by acknowledging desire and ignoring it . I quit full stop, residual desire or no residual desire no more booze, ever. In this sense/context desire has absolutely nothing to do with my not drinking.
Unless I'm misinterpreting what he is saying, desire has a lot to do with his not drinking.
I'm going to bow out of further discussion in this thread, I'm starting to feel a little troll-y.