Old 03-26-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

MCESaint....If it were me...this is what I would do....I would call the local AA organization and ask if someone could come and do a "12th Step" visit to her.
And, I would also have the children to make drawings to take to her....expressions of their love and need for her.....This is because the children can be a powerful motivator for a mother....

I have spent most of my life in hospitals taking care of very sick people...and, have worked with alcoholics and their families in a couple of treatment programs....Usually, I was introduced to the alcoholic while they were very sick, in a hospital bed. LOL...frequently, my opening line, as I sat on their bed and held their hands was...."Hi, I am Ms. Dandylion, and I am so glad to meet you. I am taking care of you and I am so glad to meet you...I am now your very best friend"........surprisingly...they almost always followed m e along...even the very sickest.....(I followed them and saw them and their families for the next 3 months...or, as long as they "needed" me)....
the thing is...I really didn't give them a choice...just a "This is the way it is".. kind of attitude...

The reason that I am relating this to you is that...I think it is important to have unwavering boundaries....combined with lots of non-judgmental compassion...

I agree with the poster who said that just your being there is enough to convey caring, at this time. I would not get into any debates or long winded discussions about the future...she just needs to know the basics...if/when she asks....