View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
AlericB

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
You wouldn't have to deny your 'love' in order to cut that person out of your life. There was 'something' 'there' at some point, yeah ?
You would agree that the destruction is what you do not desire, regardless your affection.
There would have been something there yes but but it may, for example have been 'lust' and not 'love'.

At the time obviously you don't want to destroy that desire because it feels very real to you and is the most important thing in your life. But you have to get free of it to be able to move on.

There are many ways to do this. Buddha recommended overcoming desire for women by thinking of them as skeletons. Perhaps thinking of alcohol as ethanol is a similar thing.

I have also been talking about "subjective experience" no? I have been talking about crushes or obsessional love so why do you say I been talking about "societal norms"?

I have also not been talking about "resisting desire". I have been talking about deconstructing desire so that it does not feel so real and solid and hence so powerful.

Analogies are not always confusing but they can sometimes be made so.