View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
Perhaps it's like this. Suppose you have an obsessional love for someone that's destroying you. Would you not agree that it would be a good idea to try to dispel your obsession by reassessing and de-romancing the person. Is our "love" relationship with drink really any different?

Rather than a refutation of freewill that would be an assertion of your will, that is, your capacity to determine your choices.
You wouldn't have to deny your 'love' in order to cut that person out of your life. There was 'something' 'there' at some point, yeah ?
You would agree that the destruction is what you do not desire, regardless your affection.

Putting analogies on top on analogies will, I think, only further dilute the topic, yeah?

My comment was about the subjectivity of experience, I do not think my 'pleasure' of intoxication was in any measure affected by a societal norm( meme?) , I'm pretty sure my reaction/estimation of the sensation of intoxication was what it was , wholly subjective.

I do not see how denying that could help me attain the 'eudaimonia' Andy mentioned. Resisting a desire doesn't change the desire , just the actions taken in its regard.