View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
andyh
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
You are misunderstanding me. I'm agreeing that you're very likely to make bad and irrational choices when you've had 10 pints. However it is still your choice no less than it was your choice if you are sober and make a healthier choice.
I think this is getting a little off-topic. TFM doesn't promote heavy usage - it only suggests that moderate usage may be an option if you genuinely want to moderate, ie not just like the idea of moderation but really want to use heavily. I think, by definition, if you are moderating you are not sufficiently impaired that you're not able to make a choice that is informed by the impact that choice will have on your overall "happiness". YMMV.

I think TFM would work for me if I was to define "happiness" as a longer-term goal. having a drink right now would probably make me happy for 10 minutes, but over the longer term the downsides would outweigh that pleasure. thinking of "happiness" in terms of "utility", from Utilitarianism, which is defined as "pleasure or absence of pain, or as Aristotle's "eudaimonia", often translated as "happiness", but more correctly as "flourishing", would be more helpful for me.