View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by AlericB
Just like to add that my understanding of the addict self-image is that includes the belief that you will loose control if you start drinking and the book very clearly and prominently says that if you believe this about yourself you should not drink at all.

And it also says that you would only be able to moderate if that is what you really want to do.
I definitely think it's a matter of knowing myself well. I chose abstinence because I had accrued enough data to know that I was not able to moderate my use of alcohol.

The second statement is where I'm like...hmmmmm. We know that alcohol and other substances act on the brain. They can lower inhibitions. So even with the best intentions of moderating, once I've had a drink it is certainly easier to have another. Do you think it is possible for everyone to consistently make responsible choices about how much they intend on drinking once they're drinking? and if they cannot, does that mean it's because they "don't really want to moderate"?

I def don't think a "loss of control" occurs every time someone with a current or past addiction uses. I do think that "loss of control" is certainly a possibility though. Any time any person uses a substance, some amount of control is relinquished. That's evidenced by research done on physical reaction times of ppl who have ingested even moderate amounts of alcohol. I mean there is no denying the brain is in an altered state. Even "a little" altered can lead to one making different decisions they would otherwise make with zero substances acting on their brain.