View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
andyh
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by StevenSlate View Post
Drinkers who don't know they've consumed alcohol do not proceed to crave more....
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Steven, this is not correct in a general sense, though I'm sure it's true for *some* drinkers. I experienced it first-hand, about a month after I quit drinking, when I inadvertently tasted (just a taste) some champagne-based oyster dip and was served up with an instant strong and inexplicable craving. I experienced it again, much worse, about 6 months after I quit drinking, when I inadvertently sniffed (just sniffed) some alcohol-based hand santizer, and was served up with the mother of all cravings that left me utterly shaken. All I could think about, for maybe 5 seconds, was the urge to go buy a bottle of booze and get drunk.

Surely you do not deny these experiences, which many of us have had? But how can that objective reality be reconciled with the claim above, that suggests that cravings don't exist if you don't know what you're drinking/tasting/sniffing?
I don't think that's the point being made Jeffrey. the instances you cite were where you *were* aware you had consumed or been exposed to alcohol, even if it was just a taste or a smell.

my reading of what Steven is saying is that when alcohol was consumed *without the awareness of the drinker*, no craving resulted. I'm sure we all consume small quantities of alcohol without realizing it - in bread for example - without an urge being triggered.