View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Originally Posted by StevenSlate View Post
I do too. And everyone's mind is so unique that there is no guaranteed way someone can tell them to change it. So what my co-authors and I have done with this book is to try to make them aware that they can change it, and that only they can change their mind. Then we try to clue them into the issues that come into play.

I also really like how the model encourages people to shed their old addict skin and carry with their lives. I think that's so empowering. That is one of the things that appealed to me about AVRT, that I could declare myself recovered the moment I decided to quit drinking. A huge part of my mental shift was challenging many of my beliefs about my ability to quit. I always thought that something had to happen to me, for me to be able to change, but it was my internal world that needed a change in perspective and a lot of rejection of ideas I had accumulated through culture and society.

I guess I still don't have a question. I agree with the information you present. I do think there's Addictive Voice in the talk about moderation, but I understand why it's presented as a option, people do need to consider it, and I'm pretty sure every addict has explored it. I know I did! I failed every time, but I found drugs and alcohol very pleasurable, I always wanted more.