View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
... a debate about ideological purity with respect to AVRT,
Addictive Voice Recognition Technique is a technique, not an ideology. AVRT simply polarizes thoughts and feelings about future drinking/drugging. Is using a homing device to track a collared wild animal using an ideology? Of course not. Everyone knows that. It’s just that some people seem not to want to allow AVRT to remain a pristine technique based on a simple five word pledge, the Big Plan - “I will never drink/drug again.”

Is the Big Plan an ideology? Not any more than “I will never fondle strange women” (and/or men as the case may be) is an ideology.

So, there’s no ideology with this re-cognition technique. It’s just a re-cognition technique. A very simple skill - connected with a very powerful pledge.

...even threads that aren't really about AVRT (like this one)?
When people introduce AVRT into a thread, there is no good reason to remain silent about what AVRT is or isn’t, especially if it is being mistakenly equated as in “you must keep to your Big Plan just as you must keep to remaining happy in abstinence.” It would be a disservice to people interested in learning more about AVRT. Right? Right.

I'm puzzled why practitioners seem to care so much about what other people do and even how they think. If that's "letting go of the drama", I'm not sure what not letting go looks like.
I suppose I could claim to be puzzled by why people who seem to understand the meaning of “a technique” and “an extremely specific pledge” can’t help but continue to drag it into equivalence with Way of Life Philosophies that really do attempt to instruct addicted people to join them in order to keep alcohol out of their mouths.