View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Oh MCE how awful....I've treated many patients in the ER w/ end stage cirrhosis, elevated ammonia levels and hepatic encephalopathy; never a pretty picture, and I am so sorry you have to see someone you love like that, it is as bad as the wasting that can happen in end stage cancer patients, really tough to see.

Many times I have nudged family members to go ahead and say anything they feel they need to say now, while pt is still semi-responsive....because these conditions can lead to rapid deterioration and coma. I had a pt once whose wife brought their teenage/early twenties sons in to see him in the ER before we transferred him to the ICU, neither of his own sons recognized him, they were so shocked, it was very sad.

Hoping that medicine can help her get back to the world and that she will choose sobriety and recovery. And sending a shot of courage to you and your children. No matter what caused it, hospitalization and illness are very stressful for everyone. Do try to stay hydrated and rested.

Peace,
B.