Old 03-10-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
AlericB

I have just got the book Tatsy. I haven't read much of it yet though. Too busy posting about it to read it I guess!

I was speaking to a woman at work earlier in the week and she was telling me about her 17 year old nephew who's spending his life in his room, smoking dope and gaming and obviously about how worried everyone is about him. I was thinking about this in terms of the Freedom Model and wonder if this is a plausible explanation: he's smoking pot all the time because this makes him happy. And because this is the only life he knows this is likely to continue. The reason this is likely is because he knows no other life, which is not surprising because of his young age, and so does not have an opportunity in which he can express a preference for a different life in which he would be drug-free and happier than he is now, for example a life in which he is working or has a partner. He has nothing to compare his current life to. Restated, he is comparing his current life against "nothing" and so understandably prefers his present situation.