View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
tomsteve

But doesn't he still deserve love and support? Why am I being encouraged to treat him like he's worthless garbage?I thought people struggling with disease deserve care and affection just like anyone else . I'm getting mixed information.... one minute I'm told alcoholism and addiction are a disease just like any other disease, next, I'm being told his condition makes him the scum of the Earth and it doesn't deserve the time of day.

great questions and insight.
i reread all of the replies to see if i could see where anyone says hes the scum of the earth. i havent read anywhere it said his condition makes him the scum of the earth and doesnt deserve the time of day.
what i Do read is experience that continued contact with someone at this stage of alcoholism will drag those around them down with them. here is one thread that has been an ongoing struggle- its been hard for many of us to follow
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...mputation.html (Hospital visit post-amputation)

an alcoholic in his own cup is a very sick person- try as many wanted to help me see i needed help, it didnt matter. even then, when i was ready for help, the help was best from someone that had been in my shoes.

?I thought people struggling with disease deserve care and affection just like anyone else
theres a difference and ill give a bit of my experience:
the disease of alcoholism, which i believe to be a spiritual disease, was 100% completely and totally different than the disease of melanoma i was diagnosed with. the cancer didnt cause me to wreak havoc on the lives of anyone around me. it didnt cause me to get fired from numerous jobs, didnt cause people to be worried about me when i didnt come home, didnt cause me to get into a blackout and not know what happened. didnt cause me to end up in jail,be responsible for the death of another human while it was active, and a LOT more.
but that did all happen in active alcoholism.

if you want to stay in contact with him- go for it. theres a LOT of experience here that has TRIED that.