Old 03-07-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
LBrain

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
Well, that's when we get back into AVRT territory. Can the desire to drink be removed? What if it comes back? Even at a year I still getting occasional flashes of desire for a drink/s. I might have them forever, but with what I've learned from AVRT, I know that I need never fear that desire, that it's a sign of health and vitality. Just my brain, doing what it does. I think that is a major myth that addicted people need to challenge, the myth that quitting means they will have to fear cravings for life or that residual cravings/desire mean they are doing something wrong. It's simply not true.
Yep, it seems like just another repackaged form of AVRT.

For me, I adopted this thinking before I ever learned of AVRT. My mantra was, "I'll never allow alcohol to have an influence on my life ever again. And the only way to achieve that is to never drink again." It was 3 months later I came across AVRT from this forum. It made perfect sense, so I adopted it. But I only ever read the crash course, I had no need to buy or read books or get deeper into it. The purely simple logic of it was enough for me. I found no need to do X, Y or Z in order to stop drinking. I merely had to just stop drinking.