Thread: 9 Days
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Buckley3

Originally Posted by Natasha1994 View Post
Congratulations on your 9th day of recovery. I'm on my first day, I just joined today. Do you have any advice how to get through the first few days of cravings? I heard the first few days are the hardest.
To be honest - I have some rather intense circumstances that I'm using as fuel to get through the initial period. You can read about it if you'd like - it's probably back on page 5 or 6 by now. I wouldn't recommend the Buckley method. :P

I think the first few days are the hardest - so I think doing what you have to to just not drink is where it's at. I know that's vague, sorry.

I suspect the biggest issue is managing expectations. We alkies like to try to control things - and we are also likely emerging from years of crap so the need to fix everything right away can be overwhelming.

I just focused on 2-3 things that were on my MUST DO list. After I'd get them done that was it. If I got more done great. If not great.

I also think that just being a little productive everyday really adds up over time. For me - when I'm drinking I have massive gaps of days that I do zero - maybe negative zero - things to live a healthy life. So if you take a week of doing 1-2 things that probably ends up being a month or more (very likely more, much more) than I was getting done before.

So yea. Just don't drink today. Keep it simple. Treat yourself & self care. I think after day 3-5 I started feeling some sense of physical normalcy again.

Glad yer here.

B