Old 03-05-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lessgravity

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Buddhism teaches that life is suffering. We will all get old and die, we will lose others, we will face adversity. It's inevitable. Trying to avoid suffering is like trying to avoid breathing, and makes us even more miserable. Embracing life by the moment and appreciate what is for what is values suffering equally to happiness. Each are experiences, each teach us, each is equally valid.

Or so sayeth the Buddhists. It's really more something to meditate on than discuss, as are most Buddhist concepts.

One of the primary precepts of a Buddhist practice, particularly Zen, is that one will not use any intoxicants. You can practice Buddhism without taking the precepts, but I'd say that's a strong encouragement. You are trying to live life awake. Intoxicants dull reality and put you to sleep, spiritually speaking.

Our experiences are as unique and individual as stars and snowflakes. One person's light beer on a Malibu beach is another's 6 week stay in rehab in the Malibu hills. Or even the same person's experience at different times.

I went to an Oscar party last night where people were drinking. It's a yearly tradition. A group of 15 went through about 3-5 bottles, some got drunker than others, most had about 2 glasses of wine over the course of 3-4 hours. Most were pleasantly buzzed. I enjoyed myself and enjoyed their company. I'm glad that they enjoyed their tipsy state. I myself rather enjoyed my sober state, and had no wish to join them. I didn't envy them or denounce them, I simply prefer my choice and state of being without alcohol now. It hit me like a ton of bricks that I'd missed last year's Oscar party as I was in my end stage and was too drunk to leave the house. What a difference a year makes.

These people have totally supported my recovery, and all came to visit me in rehab at least one Sunday, Kathy came every week. So I may be a bit biased here.

Anyone who feels this way about people that can enjoy a drink and are doing 12 Step work might consider using this as one of your Step 4 resentments. Like any other resentment, working through it helps you acknowledge your part in it and enhances your sobriety.
MM - beautifully put. Thank you for that.

I don't think I resent anyone, that's not the emotion I identify arising when I consider normal drinkers. And to be honest it's a very fleeting and reduced envy than I used to have.

I can feel myself arriving at the place you are - sure and comfortable with being sober, life on life's terms etc.

It's a thrill to consider I can have that life.

Thank you for the post.

No one is coming to save me.