Old 03-04-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lessgravity

the pitiful ideology that humans are created for happiness...

A rough rephrasing of Aleksandr Solzhenistyn's by Jordan Peterson that I was reminded of tonight watching my wife watch the Oscars.

Some alcohol commercial came on, parading the same b.s. with the same beautiful people in the same regretless land of endless sparkling evenings. And it annoyed the life out of me.

Maybe I'm feeling a little self-righteous in my current and VERY early sobriety but I don't care.

Am I envious of the people, like my wife and others I know, who have no issue at all with the poison, can take or leave it, and find drinking provides them with relaxation, a buzz, happiness, whatever? Yes, sure I am.

But I am focused tonight, instead, on the fact that maybe my addiction is a gift. Maybe the suffering I've already put myself through is my teacher. Maybe the ways in which I am going to be forced to finally meet life on its terms is how I was supposed to live. Maybe it's not all beers on the beach and because life is suffering (one tenant the main religions all have in common with each other), my way through is going to give me what I need to be something more than a happy dumb drunk. Something much more valuable.

Take that Budweiser.

No one is coming to save me.