Old 03-04-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

I have seen and briefly reviewed some of published work by the group whose "Freedom Model" is mentioned in the OP. Their refutation of the disease model of addiction sits well with my understanding of the volitional aspect of behavior . I don't quite understand their promotion of moderation as an adjunct for the ending of an addiction, but my AV loved the inclusion

To resume drinking only means indulging the desire for more drinks. Through the lens of AVRT there is either more drinks ( or smokes or doses ect) or there isn't. If one makes the decision to abstain, a BP , the option for future 'mores' is removed.
The idea that complete, irrevocable cessation of consumption of a particular substance will lead to a happier you is AV , it is a condition being applied in the present garnering an expectation of future results, the implication being that 'sobriety' is a reward received by the action of not drinking(using). Instead of the reality that not drinking isn't an action , not being intoxicated is the result of not consuming intoxicating substances.

One does not travel by hovercraft by refusing to travel by hovercraft , one simply doesn't pilot a hovercraft. In practicing a shifting exercise one does not open a bottle and pour a drink and then refuse to imbibe, drinking it isn't an option via the BP, one does however refuse the Beast , the desire , the want , the urge to have that drink and feel the release of the Beast set free.

Seeing 'quitting' as an ongoing, perpetual, daily ,conditioned semi-permanent state is pure AV.

" addiction is always there, lurking in the background, be on guard, protect your happiness, your sobriety, one drink and it as all undone..ect"

Making a BP means that even if what the AV purports were true, it wouldn't matter. Making a BP also means that if stopping drinking for what ever period of time and allowing for physical and psychic 'healing' to occur would mean that someone could then drink again with no negative consequences , it still wouldn't matter ( see the BP )