Thread: Tapering
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

I did a medical detox using diazepam tapered over a period of two weeks, as strongly suggested by my doctor (psychiatrist trained in substance abuse and mood disorders). Tried self tapering, and at-home benzo taper. Both failed. Complete cold turkey was considered very risky in my case, and as I had the resources to do my detox as the start of inpatient rehab, I saw no reason to go pure cold turkey. However, people have done this successfully as in Augusts's post above, although I believe she was monitored or at least had access to doctors during her detox.

I was at 15-25 standard drinks per day, around the clock, which I'd been doing for months. You were at about 10-11 standard drinks a day, which is definitely significant. How you will react and what sort of symptoms you will have cannot be predicted with a reasonable amount of precision. At the very least I believe you should let a doctor know what you are attempting to do.

Tapering didn't work for me, and per the experiences I've read on this board, rarely works for others. For my big quit I used medical detox, the times I had significant abstinent periods previously in my life I cold-turkeyed.

I also suffer from bipolar disorder, which would have exacerbated withdrawal induced anxiety and mood swings, although I hadn't been taking my medication for a long time. Once sober, I got back on it and it's working wonders.