View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Hi Carter,

I can't imagine what that would look like. I've seen it mentioned as well but I can't remember any details if anyone ever provided any.

Thing is, adults shouldn't need contracts. He is either going to do what he says and mean what he says or he's not and no piece of paper will make a difference to that.

I think it's great that you do have a relapse plan in place. It's probably a good idea to think about what you, pers
onally, might want to do in that instance. Hopefully he stays sober but what if he relapses?

You kind of need a plan. If that might mean you want to get out of there for a while have you put funds aside for that purpose? Do you have a place to go? Longer term if needed (that might just mean looking at rentals available in your area).

Although since you have discussed relapse you might have some of those practical actions in place, if they should be needed.
Any kind of contract is, IMO, silly and unlikely to be "an incentive" or "promise" or anything, as far as this alcoholic thinks.

I never quit drinking til I - JUST ME- wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, or to be anything else.

I am also wary of "planning for relapse" as I don't think about relapse- it's just not an option. I am certainly on the far adamant end of the scale about my sobriety being my absolute priority.