Old 03-02-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Mictar View Post
Thanks everyone, today I lost my battle with temptation. I promised myself id defy my wants and I failed.
Down but not done.
Tomorrow is a new day and it will be a great one, without alcohol
I’m overwhelmed with appreciation for the replies and it’s reallh made me feel better.
I can’t wait to one day be one of you, telling my story of finding support and turning it around!
Hey Mike, if I had a dollar for every time I did that I would have a reasonable amount of money now I am not sure about giving into my "wants" , as I desperately wanted to stop. Alcohol had long since ceased to be my friend. It was more a case of alcohol overpowering my "don't want"

If I had a dime for every time I was told "just don't drink" I'd be even richer. I mean, that idea wasn't new to me. It had been obvious for a long time. In fact on many occasions it had been my first thought of the day. But I am an alcholic. I have trouble making such a decision stick.

I left the court early one afternoon, the judge having talked to me about some offences that occurred as a result of my drinking. I didn't like court, I thought I was going to be locked up, it was frightening. So the sane person might think twice about drinking. I didn't think at all. Within minutes I was in a bar across the street, and I got arrested again that night. Then he did lock me up!

I remember the total despair as I landed face down in the cell. How the hell did this happen, again? Fighting with police was the furthest thing from my mind when I took the fatal first drink.

It happened because I was powerless to prevent it. I needed to stop, I desperately wanted to stop, but the needed power wasn't there.

I went to AA. There I found people who understood what the drinking life was like, and other people who understood how to recover.