Thread: I'm lost
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mandypandy

Hi Nums, cross addiction is not uncommon. Where you give up an addiction to one drug, to become dependent on something else.
The people I knew who gave up stimulants like coke or speed, usually became more dependent on drink than those whose primary addiction was drink.

You cannot manage anxiety while drinking. The depressant affect alcohol has on the brain, causes it to release a lot of stress hormones, (which are stimulants) to counteract that depressant action. Our brains get efficient at this, the reason we can, after drinking a lot often, still be on our feet and functioning at amounts that used to knock us out.
The stress hormones, take much longer to clear out of our systems than the mentally relaxing effects of drink.

Get off the drink, the best way you see fit for your situation, then deal with the anxiety.
In my case I went cold turkey. Some people don't want to do that. Or feel they can't risk it.
The drink induced anxiety was gone within a week. Then, you will be able to assess what anxiety needs treatment, if any.
No one is lost, we all belong to the whole.