Old 03-01-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
This seems to be the crux of what you are saying. I actually think the opposite is true. We all want to be happy and if we think though the very good reasons why we want to quit, we will be happier when we do quit. If OTOH you quit because you believe that you have no other choice then you are quitting or even quatting under duress and this does not seem to me to be a sustainable state in the long term, that is, thinking that quitting may not make you generally happier - of course there will always be times of unhappiness - is AV because it makes it more likely that you will return to drinking again. IMO of course.

But anyway, why if thinking through the reasons why you want to quit makes quitting a happier experience would you not want to do it? You can of course just quit anyway but isn't it better to be happier about it than not?

I think that if you quit because you think it will bring you happiness, then you could be tempted to return to it if you aren't happy. I know a few years ago when I tried AVRT for the first time, that was what happened to me. I thought quitting would make everything better, and it didn't, and my AV used that against me in a major way. I learned a lot from that though, and now abstinence stands on its own and has nothing to do with whether or not I'm "happy"