Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Redmayne
Redmayne

I can identify with this..

In my drinking days,as 'a high functioning alcoholic' which stretched over a period of roughly twenty five years during which time I passed, reasonably successfully through three of my four professional careers. 'Lost' everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING! Other than my son and my ability not once but TWICE! Us 'alkies' never do things by halves. Had one DUI and attended meetings on an intermittent basis but for regular periods and got nowhere until finally someone handed me a recording of one of 'Joe and Charlie's:Big Book Study Meetings', best sponsors I, and I'd suggest many others have. So that eventually, having, not by my hand, I found myself with nothing but the first safe, secure place to live, my fifth home in the previous seven years and little else!

I finally had to come to terms with the fact that for all my great triumphs and failures, these were always someone else's fault, which in fairness was n part true but there's little doubt my drinking played a contributory part...no excuses, right!

I was dragged 'screaming and kicking' to the conclusion that if anyone was an alcoholic, it was me!

ThenI got better, and I've been getting better every day ever since, and that was ten years ago....a day at a time.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond to your thread,I can identify with this...and probably more....