Thread: Checking In
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SweatyHands
Brother of the Wolf

Checking In

Greetings all! It’s been quite a while since I’ve posted on here. I still lurk, but I’ve not felt that I’ve had much to share lately. That said however, here I am. This Sunday, I will be two years in recovery on this go. This has had me thinking about the nightmare relapse that led up to my recovery. I find myself today absolutely swimming in gratitude for the communities that supported me and stood by me, believing that I could put down the bottle and come back to the land of the living. I still cringe when I think about my posts discussing getting free from my addiction to sleeping pills, while bragging that I was successfully drinking with some moderation. We all know how long that delusion lasts... That all being said, I wake up every day celebrating another day free from active addiction and terrifying withdrawals. I feel like my relationship with my wife is in a place that I never even imagined while I was drinking/drugging. And I say all of this, because if I can come back from death’s door, from a world where the police had to make welfare checks on me because I couldn’t answer my phone, and can make a new, sober life in service to others, then there is hope for anyone who is suffering under the burden of addiction. Stay strong, and never be afraid to acknowledge your limitations! We can help each other out of this misery, and back into the joy of living!