View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
Gottalife- I don't find your post helpful. I do not like AA. It's not for me. I accept that it works for some.
Truth is, I didn't need to be TOLD, I had to experience it for myself. I haven't been SCARED into sobriety- this experience has shown me very clearly that I do not have control over alcohol. I never want to risk drink driving again, nor do I ever want to experience another hangover or the guilt and shame. Or the risks to my health, my finances etc etc.
I want to be sober, I haven't been scared into it.
Hey.... I want to comment on this, I hope you won't take it as offensive because I offer it in earnestness;

I felt exactly that way about AA. During my first DUI, I was court-ordered to it.

In future attempts to get sober after my second DUI, I tried AA again. I still didn't like it. I still found it offputting, but I grabbed onto it a little more.... mostly out of hope that there would be something useful there and because there were few alternatives and I didn't want to go to rehab.

When I FINALLY got serious about recovery, I went back to AA - and I STILL didn't really like it. I STILL didn't relate. I still felt the "God thing" was a challenge for me, along with the 'victim mentality' and the whole idea of powerlessness.

BUT

I went back to AA and I went back with an open mind and the perspective that I wanted to see what it could offer. And with a new focus, and an openness, I did find a lot of tools. I did get a sponsor. I did do some of the stepwork in the manner recommended.... I even went today, though it's been some months since I've been to a meeting. Today I just went to share gratitude and remind myself of the importance of sobriety.

I'm over 4 years sober and my life is so much better for it.

For me, AA wasn't the answer. It was (and remains) a tool. For me, a number of different tools in my toolkit - and my ongoing CHOICE to live in sobriety - was the answer.

I'll never judge you or anyone else for the recovery tools you do or don't choose - but I felt compelled to offer you my experience and the value I did find in AA as one of my many tools - once I finally got to a point that I just really did not want it to get any worse.... and I wanted to IMPROVE my life.