View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"AA is not for me. The people are lovely but the religious nature of the BB turns me off. I think it's a misogynistic, outdated and male centric text which does not resonate with me. I don't need to be scared into sobriety or to be told 'it's this way or else jail, death or institutions' are the outcome. And I hate the trite, pithy sayings in meetings, of which 'easier, softer way' is one. Who is anyone to judge another who is taking a different path to sobriety as taking the easier, softer way? You're not in their shoes, so you have no idea! "

I get that there are supposedly any number of paths to sobriety. How do you veiw this old post of yours from March 2016, in the light of your experience in the intervening period? Think we still don't know what its like in your shoes? A repeat of this and jail could very well be on the cards.

On the face of it, you have had a bad experience. To me it's good news, if it prompts you to take some action. You are right, we cannot scare a person into sobriety, but a bit of a shock can some times open the mind.