View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wisconsin

Hello, my friends!

When I logged in this morning, SR helpfully told me I had last logged in back in October. OCTOBER?!? Yes, it really has been that long, apparently.

Life is moving right along in my corner of the world. My older DD turned 18, and is getting close to making her college plans. She is waiting for one more financial aid letter, and I think she will be able to make her decision.

My younger DD is doing MUCH better this year, now that she is out of the toxic middle school environment and into the high school. She didn't get a part in the ensemble for the school's winter musical, but she rebounded from her disappointment and signed up to perform in a couple of numbers during the spring "dance show." DS is doing well in 2nd grade, and is keeping busy with Cub Scouts and swimming lessons. My "bonus daughter" has finally settled in at her new school (which is the same school my DS attends), and I am absolutely thrilled to report that she has learned more in 4 months there, with only a few accommodations and 60 minutes of tutoring a week, than she did in an entire school year PLUS summer school at our neighborhood school, where she had an 18-page IEP and spent half her school time receiving "extra assistance" in special ed classes. Perhaps most wonderfully, she actually has real friends her own age, who treat her like a peer. She's had some adjustment issues, but overall, it has been a really positive change for her.

I'm still loving my new job over at our local transit agency, after leaving county government over the summer. My fella and I are still doing well, after almost 2.5 years together. AXH is still drinking, of course, but for the time being he is holding his own and we are co-parenting DS well.

We had a car drama of epic proportions over the holidays, which started with my fella being in a pretty nasty car accident where the other driver was completely at fault (he was hurt, but not nearly as badly as he could have been), and culminated in our replacement rental car (supplied by the other driver's insurance company) being stolen right off the street in front of our house, and concluded with the stolen rental car being recovered a few weeks later after police wrote a parking ticket on it and realized it was stolen. It had a lot of heroin in it, and was being used as a mobile drug house. As glad as I am that my insurance company will be paying a claim for some damage to the rental car instead of full replacement, I'm even more glad that at least some heroin is off the streets.

I'm glad to see familiar faces, and new faces, and I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone.