View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FireSprite

I saw an incredible acupuncturist for 2 years, every 3 months & she helped me peel my body down in layers (like an onion, just like we talk about in our emotional recoveries). The issues I had on the surface were often the result of other things being out of line, further up in the chain of command hormonally/etc. But other stuff - like adrenal fatigue - needed to & could be addressed immediately. That was the result of living in crisis mode (fight or flight) for a couple of years.

So my medical Drs kept trying to just force everything back into working by prescribing more & more medication, which left me with more secondary issues & increasing dependence on something that never fixed my problems. My thyroid med dosage was ever-increasing & in my early 30's they wanted to put me on fertility-based drugs to force my cycles to normalize. No one ever guessed that even THAT issue was tied into my ongoing stress & fatigue.

My acupuncturist helped me use bioidentical supplements to help by body find it's own "normal" going forward - none of the supplements were taken long term, the process is meant to help correct the imbalance in a way that helps the body correct the pattern going forward naturally. Over those 2 years I went through a couple dozen different supplements - as I got healthier I could stop "this" but found that next layer of the "onion" needed "that" for a while instead - so it was a lot more than just straight acupuncture for a while.

Adrenal health is controversial depending on what you read but in my experience, the acupressure points in my hands literally THROB when I'm in any kind of extended crisis situation. Just being aware of that helps me take the steps to add supplements or get extra rest, whatever I need.

Now I continue acupuncture at least every other week just for "general maintenance" - like taking vitamins everyday instead of chugging down a bottle once I start to feel sick. I'm on the lowest thyroid med dosage I've ever been prescribed & am 100% regular with my cycles for the first time in my life - in my mid-40's. I don't have the migraines I've struggled with since I was 10. (and it's been great for small stuff like stress, minor sinus issues, etc. - you know, regular life stuff, lol)

I started taking DD when she started following those same footsteps & started getting migraines with puberty - maybe around age 12? She goes as often as possible when she can around school, etc. & it has helped her a lot already. Hope this helps!