Thread: Plod
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
2ndhandrose
under new management

Originally Posted by mandypandy View Post
Just out of curiosity, anybody passing by this thread, if you have the longest time you have ever had without the drink, or like years off it. Did you feel any different when you stopped drinking the last time? Or did it just feel like another attempt at first, then stuck?
I was sober for 6 years, in my mid twenties to early thirties. Right now, I have just passed my 3 year soberversary

After I relapsed on my first (and only ever other attempt), I felt like it was too hard to commit to sobriety again so stayed stuck for years.

This time, I felt the urgency of time left. The possibility of dying for the sake of a drink was more of a reality at 56 years old than it felt like at 26 years old.

I don't do any face to face support groups so engaging here on SR has made a world of difference in keeping my sobriety in the forefront.

I felt pretty certain and determined the first time around but didn't follow through with support so, eventually, I became very complacent.

This time around, it feels more like a "do or die" choice. And, I have chosen "DO"